Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Eagerly awaiting surviving bletillas in my garden ...

When we had the icy freeze last week, one of the things that panicked me was the potential damage to the emerging bletilla striata, or ground orchids.

I bought them several years ago after falling in love with them in my dear, departed friend Eleanor's garden.

The three plants each put up one bloom the first two years.  Last year I had about two blooms each.  But this year, I'd already seen about 10 stalks peeking out of the ground - waiting to wow me with fabulous blooms. 

And even though most of the newbies were burned in the freeze like this one in the foreground - take a peek behind it at that newer, smaller lime green shoot. 

Thank goodness.  I think covering the plants with a blanket that miserable night probably helped those that were just at the surface, even though the taller ones didn't survive.

It's amazing what Mother Nature can do -- both good and bad. 

Now I am eagerly awaiting some of these blooms in the garden.  And I know that I will appreciate them even more this year. 


4 comments:

Steph@RamblingWren said...

Mother Nature is so resilient! A dear neighbor that moved away gave me some ground orchids from her garden. They are always the first to flower in the Spring. I just love those pink and delicate flowers.

Toni - Signature Gardens said...

This is a wonderful little plant, isn't it! I got some from a friend of mine, too. Just wish it would grow a teeny bit faster. Maybe mine will increase a little more this year since it has been in the ground a couple years now. Such a beautiful, delicate bloom and gorgeous color :-) Makes me smile :-)

Diana said...

Steph - It's nice to get passalongs that remind us of our dear friends.

Toni - They are slow growers, that's for sure. I ordered a few more a few weeks ago and they arrived yesterday - I'm so excited.

Linda/patchwork said...

I remember the ones in Eleanor's garden, during the Garden Tour.
I got some, by mistake...thought I was buying palm grass. They lived in a pot for two years. Never bloomed, and then didn't come back last year.
Maybe I need to find some more.
They are really pretty.