Sunday, March 16, 2014

Bumper crop of coneflowers promising a colorful summer...

Newsflash: I've decided to see the garden as half full. Instead of crying over the spilled milk atrocities of our winter, I'm going to focus on the positive. Sure, things died. And buds got zapped. And agaves turned to mush. I can't do a darned thing about it.

 I'm chanting my garden mantra: "I am NOT in charge."

Ok. Enough said. So, what's going to be beautiful in my garden this year?

Cone flowers. Echinacea purpurea is one of my favorites.  It's just so perky all the time.

And from the looks of it, it's going to be a banner year for them.  This is a cluster of cone flower plants that's jammed packed -- there's just foliage growing in the garden right now, but soon they will be beautiful like the picture of last year's in the pictures above and below. 

I need to thin them out and spread them around - I love being my own nursery!
.

While the most common color around here is the purple, I also have some of the white variety in the garden, too.   Don't they just make you want to smile?
Here's to a wonderful week!

6 comments:

Pam/Digging said...

A philosophical outlook can do wonders for one's mood. As can a trip to the nursery.

Laura said...

I never have luck with coneflowers, I must be the only one in Austin. I just planted 3 in a new spot in the garden. Fingers crossed!

Linda/patchwork said...

Wow! Your coneflowers are WAY ahead of mine.
Like Laura, I haven't had much luck with them here. So, I moved them to more sun. Hope that works.
And, hope Spring is here soon.

Steph@RamblingWren said...

Your cone flowers are so pretty! I planted three 'PowWow'cone flowers last year. I was surprised to see them come back this Spring.

dryheatblog said...

I'm always learning myself...dead plants really means more spaces for new plants, or paring things down. Nursery visits, garden tours, all medicine.

Would be great to hear more - what temperatures, rainfall you had and which plants died, struggled, or did fine!

Jean Campbell said...

Someone gave me a white coneflower last summer. It survived along with the pink, they're tough. We have buds here, looking forward to blooms again.